Why is it important to prepare for winter?
The winter season has its own charm. On one hand, it brings with it beautiful colors, a feeling of a warm and cozy home, the blessing of rains and clean, cold air. At the same time, this season has a few challenges, and there is a need to take care of the health in your family.
Flu, viruses, and colds are just part of the challenges your body must face during the winter. However, it is important to remember that your body is not alone. There are quite a few options, methods, and lots of natural products and dietary supplements that can provide relief and help treat and prevent winter illnesses.
What are the symptoms of a cold?
Colds happen mainly during transitions between the seasons, but they can also occur during any season and even in summer.
The common cold has a number of easily identifiable symptoms. It starts about four days after getting infected by the virus and lasts about three days. The full recovery happens only after about a week. The symptoms of a cold are congested or runny nose, sore throat, coughing, tiredness, headaches, phlegm, and muscle pain. Not a very nice feeling indeed.
Tips for a healthy winter
- Ventilate the house and make sure that the airflow is clean – In winter, we use heating in our houses, because it is pleasant to come back to a warm home, and we also need to be warm when we feel unwell. However, it is important to open windows and ventilate the house a bit, so that the air in the house stays fresh and clean. Besides that, you don’t want to be feeling like in a sauna with hot air that stands still, which increases the chances of getting sick or infecting someone else. Therefore, the temperature should be kept pleasant, but not at the expense of ventilation – remember to leave a window open to let clean air in.
- Maintaining hygiene – Not just because of Corona. Maintaining hygiene is, perhaps, the most significant factor in preventing disease transmission. Washing your hands especially when taking care of children, working with food or cleaning products will significantly reduce the chances of getting infected. Showering and maintaining strict oral hygiene also helps, besides improving how you feel and making you feel fresh.
- Healthy diet – The early sunsets, the rain and many hours spent at home make us feel hungry and lazy. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to nutrition during the winter and to follow a healthy diet by eating fresh fruit and vegetables and not foods high in fat and carbohydrates. It is important that your menu contains healthy and natural products to give your immune system energy and a feeling of satisfaction.
- Using natural products – Natural medicine teaches us that there are things in nature that can help treat and prevent winter illnesses.
Herbs like Echinacea, Black elderberry and many other useful herbs have been scientifically tested and proven
to help and relieve respiratory infections. These plants are found in many supplements and their use can help
to get through the winter in a healthier and easier way.
- Plentiful drinking – Water is a key component in the body. Drinking water and staying hydrated is important beyond preventing thirst and dehydration. Drinking water helps maintain healthy metabolism. For adults, it is recommended to drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. Make sure to drink water even during cold days, in addition to hot beverages.
To sum it up, you can stay healthy in winter and enjoy the rain, the colors of the season, and the puddles. Small things can make a big difference.